Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi

Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi as he starts his international financial career in Asia

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Exit, 2020

Well, I guess a lot of you are probably ready for 2020 to finally draw to a close. But from my point of view, for a year when certain days seem to have dragged endlessly, it's astounding that, on the whole, the time has evaporated just like time usually does.   

And there were some mega-highlights for me that would have taken their place among my top memories even had this been a normal year. 

A few examples? Kicking off the new decade with a jaunt up to Beijing that coincided with the most photogenic of blizzards; exploring new destinations in Cambodia over a Chinese New Year that provided me with my last major international journey until this pandemic is finally behind us; and, of course, wallowing in old world luxury during my staycation at the Peninsula over the summer that saw me achieving a major life goal. 

In addition to that last one, there were many other precious moments in my home city, Hong Kong. I don't think I've ever spent more time here, with our ability to enter and exit at will effectively extinguished thanks to COVID, which has prevented me from venturing further afield since the end of February. Of course, the downside to this (and it's a big one) is that I haven't seen my family and friends back home in well over a year. But the silver lining, which you need to remind yourself exists, is that I've forged stronger relationships with my Hong Kong social circle—and significantly expanded it—and really gotten to enjoy all that this crazy city has to offer.

So, without further ado, here is my hotly anticipated summary of 2020, with a photo representing each of the twelve months of this oddball, ineffably unforgettable year. 

January




My first trip of any nature in the 2020s was a quick work jaunt to Beijing (passing through an obscure city called Wuhan) back in January. I know I already shared snaps of the capital under a blanket of snow. So here is one from the business side!


February


Lunch in the famed seaside resort of Kep during my Chinese New Year exploits around Cambodia. Though I passed through Saigon, Jakarta and Bangkok for short business trips afterwards, this was my last mega pre-COVID adventure. 


March



Who doesn’t love Paddy’s Day?



April



An Easter without the ability to travel means a splurge at Hong Kong’s most legendary Sunday brunch!


May




COVID or no COVID, I always celebrate Cinco de Mayo. 


June




Weekend at the Pen! Life highlight, folks. Plain and simple. 


July



If Independence Day falls on a weekend, I feel obligated to host a barbecue!


August



Would a 2020 summary truly be complete without a face mask selfie? This one is a from a night time ride on Hong Kong’s iconic Peak Tram. 


September



 A dip in temperature come mid-September means I can hike again!


October



I’m pretty sure I hosted the best Halloween party ever this year!


November




At Tung Po in North Point commemorating eleven—ELEVEN!years in Hong Kong with some amazing new friends and one irreplaceable old one! Silver and gold!


December



Merry Christmas from the Bling Tiger!

No comments:

Post a Comment