Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi

Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi as he starts his international financial career in Asia

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Passing the One Year Mark

Well… it’s official. I have now been in Hong Kong for exactly one year. And in nine short days, I will be making my first visit back home, three hundred and seventy-nine days after I last set foot in the United States.

In all honesty, though, I don’t think I will go this long again without at least a short visit back home. It has long been a goal of mine to stay away for a full year, just to prove to myself that I could do it. Psychologically, it was a hurdle I really felt the need to get over. And now that I have succeeded, I’ll make my best effort to come home at least a couple of times each year from now on.
.
I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll say it again, but it certainly doesn’t feel like I’ve been away for as long as I have. Yes, I feel very at home in Hong Kong—I have great friends and I love the lifestyle—but it still feels like the beginning of an even longer journey. There’s still so much time ahead of me out here, so even though this milestone might seem impressive today, I’m sure one day I’ll look back on it as one of the earlier stages of my international experience.

Last night, to commemorate the big anniversary, some friends and I got together for a rooftop barbecue in Mong Kok, the part of town where I spent my very first night out here. I had read about this “hidden” restaurant months ago, and last night finally proved the proper ‘excuse’ to give it a try.

Basically, some local people decided to turn their private rooftop into a barbecue restaurant, and it has slowly become more and more popular via word of mouth. Perched atop an apartment building near the Ladies Market, the restaurant is only marked with a curiously discreet, misspelled sign indicating ‘BQQ’ in red letters. For a mere HK$118 (and after scaling seven flights of stairs in the walkup apartment building), an unending array of meat, shrimp, corn, bread and other foods is spread across some tables. The barbecue pits are filled with charcoal and lit upon arrival, and then the diners are free to go to town! The soft drinks, tea and beer are included in the price and also unlimited! And on a nice night, as it was yesterday, the rooftop ambiance cannot be beat. It was a great way to celebrate the occasion.

Work is going better than ever. Gone are the days when I struggled to earn my keep, to get customers to pay some attention to my existence, to feel like I was actually on a path to success. Now I even have a few customers who come to me, without any nudge on my part, to help them with their daily business. It’s a very good feeling, and I look forward to developing my business even further.
.
I am so indebted to my firm for giving me the great opportunity to work in this amazing city. The trust they put in me and the responsibilities they have given me have been the backbone of this entire journey, and I would never have had any of the great experiences without that. And of course, I owe so much to Kevin, my coworker, as well. Patient and savvy, he has taught me practically everything I know about this business, and I could not have asked for a better colleague to show me the ropes.
.
All I can think about these days is savoring the joys of Hong Kong over the next week-and-a-half. Of course I am ridiculously excited about my upcoming six week trip back home, but I know it will bring with it some longing for the things (and people) I love most about this place. It has been a phenomenal year, and I am very grateful for the wonderful experiences I have been fortunate enough to enjoy, both internationally and right here in my city.
.
Thank you Asia for giving me the best year of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment