Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi

Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi as he starts his international financial career in Asia

Monday, July 30, 2018

Requiem for a Jell-O Shot


I can't believe I'm posting this.

I do not recall another time in the past nine years when I've uploaded twice in such short succession. But Saturday evening, after publishing my last recap of the month of July, I met up with some friends for Peking duck in Central. Dinner naturally transitioned into drinks, with the predicable suggestion of seguing into Lan Kwai Fong. After a quick stop in Brick House as we made our way up the hill, I obviously steered the group to my perennial favorite, Al's Diner.

January 2013

Whenever asked, I always cite Al's as my favorite bar in Hong Kong. With my tongue only slightly in my cheek, I'll often go a step further to label it my favorite watering hole in the world. Whether it's a short five minute break for a quick Jell-O shot in the midst of a massive night of bar hopping, or one of those magical evenings that lingers on until the early hours of the dawn, as an endless crowd stumbles past with the promise of throwing friends old and new your way, time spent at Al's is never anything shy of memorable. 

September 2011

So, after hanging upside down from the ceiling bars slurping up one of their famous gelatinous concoctions, I re-joined my friends at our booth, where I was met with long faces. They showed me a photo they had taken of a sign on the wall. 
Dear Friends, Fans and Loyal Customers,
We are sorry to say, that after more than 28 years in Lan Kwai Fong, it is time to say Goodbye. 
Saturday, July 28 2018, will be our last day in this location. 
It has been a real privilege to be part of something so special and as this chapter comes to an end, we look forward with excitement to what lies ahead.
For now, we just want to say Thank You so much, and Thanks for the memories!
Love from the entire Al's Diner Team!
April 2017

My first reaction was one of total and utter disbelief, as I read and re-read the words without processing them. Then, I honed in on the date, and it hit me all of a sudden, like a sucker punch. Tonight would be the last night I'd be spending in my favorite bar on earth. I let that sink in.

March 2011

A teeny piece of me felt so overjoyed that fate had brought us to Al's that night. The only thing I can imagine worse would have been arriving for my next anticipated visit to find the place shuttered. But the much larger response was one of heartbreak.

August 2015

June took away one of my favorite eateries with the announced closure of American Restaurant; now July has similarly stolen from me my go-to bar. What else does 2018 hold in store? Will the Jockey Club cease the Wednesday night races? Maybe the Star Ferry will go out of business, too? Perhaps the tram lines will be torn up?

August 2010

I can't say I'd be particularly surprised at this point. My Hong Kong is transforming before my very eyes and, I'm sorry to say, not for the better.

October 2016

Before long, a high outdoor table (prime real estate, as I call it) opened up on the small terrace overlooking the street. I meandered over alone, leaving my friends inside. I nursed my Corona and looked out over the Saturday night parade, as a similar cavalcade of memories inundated my brain. I'm not sure whether I teared up or not, but I very well might have. 

October 2011

Wondering where I'd disappeared to, my friends began looking around and spotted me. They joined me at the outdoor table, and we ordered a few more rounds of Jell-O shots for good measure, sharing one with the convivial bouncer who always made sure I got the best spot in the house when I visited. And we just lingered and lingered... 

September 2014

Slowly, people began disappearing until it was just me and one other friend, Omar. It was getting very late. Earlier in the evening, I had vowed to stay until the lights came on and the last patrons were kicked out. But, in a moment of rash decision making, I made up my mind that I'd rather have my last memories of Al's be of it filled to the brim with raucous patrons in the midst of a Saturday night, not empty and forlorn as the staff tidied up for good.

June 2012

So Omar and I headed back down the hill towards the taxi queue, me looking over my shoulder as we descended and Al's Diner disappeared into the night one final time.

January 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment