Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi

Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi as he starts his international financial career in Asia

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Fredric at Two


On this date two years ago, I made a big decision that changed my life. One day earlier, I'd met the most adorable little puppy in the Stanley SPCA. His name was Hank, and when I found his picture online, I felt my heart skip a beat. I'd been searching for a dog for awhile by that pointthe name Fredric had been picked out long beforeand I had a certain suspicion that Hank might be the right guy for the job. 


So during the annual dragon boat races in Stanley, I made a pit stop at the adoption center and fell in love. Ironically, it was Father's Day when I actually brought him home for the first time. It wasn't easy living in a sixth floor walk up, especially considering he didn't know how to use stairs yet! I had to carry him out each time we went for a "walk," and it was like having a fish on the end of a line in the beginning!


Eleni told me during those first few weeks that "the difficult job of raising a puppy is the price you pay for having a dog." Wise words. Shoes, books and DVDs were destroyed over those first months. He was a pooch of boundless energy and sharp nails. He peed all over my apartment, scratched permanent gouges into the walls and unloaded layers of fur that will likely never fully vanish. But he has been so full of affection from the very start that I've never really had cause to regret my decision. 


Now he's a firm fixture in my life. I can't wait to see his wagging tail when I open the door after a long day at work, and even the stairs seem worth climbing to get to him. 


To celebrate our cotton anniversary, I took Fredric up to the Racetrack Fire Memorial in Causeway Bay after work today. I've mentioned before how much he loves the place, and as I expected, he went crazy when he got inside the gate, jumping about and finding sticks to play with. 


Normally Wednesday is racing night for me, as you well know by now. And with the season about to end and the summer hiatus on the horizon, I'd normally not skip a meeting. But I decided it was fitting to spend tonight with my little mutt curled up beside me at home, just relaxing and enjoying the time together. 


Here's to many more happy memories, Fredric! 

No comments:

Post a Comment