Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi

Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi as he starts his international financial career in Asia

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Seven Year Itch

I am sitting in my office right now, even though it's about twenty minutes to midnight on a Wednesday evening. Donald Trump was elected president of the United States earlier today, and instead of going to work, I attended an election watch party hosted by the American Chamber of Commerce. And although I initially intended to only take the morning off—expecting the result to be called relatively early—the nature of the race wound up keeping me engrossed all day long.

Election Watch at Pacific Place 

Hence, here I am now, taking a quick break from some frantic work I need to complete in time for a big meeting tomorrow afternoon to reflect on this day. 

Of course, to me, today is not only the day we learned the results of Tuesday's presidential election. It's also the seventh anniversary of the day I arrived in Hong Kong back in 2009. Although my working visa didn't come through for a few more months after I first touched down—meaning I'll have to wait until March to be eligible for permanent residency here in Hong Kong—this anniversary is certainly a milestone for me. I can still think back to that day so many years in the past now, when, as a twenty-two year old fresh out of college, I stepped off a plane on a new continent to start a career and new life. 

As I always point out, it was one of the most significant days of my life, and I've never really regretted the choice to move here, loving nearly every minute of this grand adventure. Seven years in, I have a great social circle, a job I thoroughly enjoy, an apartment I love to call home, a city that really inspires me and, of course, a waggily-tailed pooch who never fails to make my day. With my thirtieth birthday now only mere weeks in the future, I can say farewell to my twenties knowing I took full advantage and embrace a new decade of my life. Although I can't say I know exactly where life will lead, I can safely say that if my thirties are even a portion as adventurous and exciting as my twenties, then I'm in for a wild ride. I am also ecstatic that, after seven years, I'll soon be welcoming my dad and sister Danielle to Hong Kong for their first visit!

Speaking of family, my cousin Chris and his girlfriend Becca were recently in Hong Kong for a few days, and it was great to show them around and spend time with them. In a great coincidence, their trip intersected with the Halloween weekend, and we had several opportunities to soak up the macabre mayhem of Hong Kong Halloween.

"I just sort of expected we'd miss Halloween this year," Becca told me as she and Chris were unpacking. "We had no idea they celebrated here."

Well, what a surprise they had in store! They arrived on a Friday morning, and later that night I was dressed as a clown, Chris as a bloody doctor as we headed to Time Out's Styloween in Causeway Bay. Later, in Lan Kwai Fong, you can bet plenty of Jello shots also played a part in our night.

LKF on Friday night

And, in between sightseeing on Saturday, I also finally made it to Dead Not Alive, perhaps Hong Kong's most popular Halloween party. I was glad to have Chris and Becca around to add to the fun.

From the photo booth at Dead Not Alive

Sunday, I took my visitors up the Peak to watch the sedan chair race at the Matilda International Hospital. And following this up with dumplings and dan dan noodles from Crystal Jade (eaten on the roof of IFC mall) made for a perfect ending to their trip. Off to Vietnam they flew that afternoon, and they did have a prolonged layover on Monday, which allowed me a chance to take them to Cheung Chau to explore.

Monday morning on Cheung Chau

So, as you can see, life is as busy as ever, and with Dad and Danii coming soon, I know the year is about to just dissipate. I'm happy to pause for one last moment now, before getting back to work, to say thank you to Hong Kong for another great year. In the end, I wasn't able to make it to Happy Valley Racetrack followed by a night out in Wan Chai, as I expected to commemorate this anniversary, but oh well. I'm truly grateful to still be living in this amazing city, and the more I am able to share it with friends and family, the more I realize what a lucky guy I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment