Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi

Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi as he starts his international financial career in Asia

Thursday, December 6, 2012

On a Little Street in Singapore

Greetings from Singapore, my new home! I’ve been here a little over a week now, and this whole thing has gotten off to a great start. Our office is in the heart of the Central Business District, just off the river and an easy walk to Boat Quay, the Esplanade, Chinatown and plenty of other intriguing neighborhoods. The hotel where I stayed the first week—Furama RiverFrontwas a very leisurely thirty minute walk up the river from the office, and strolling along the water after a long day at work was the perfect way to unwind and relax. I usually had a huge smile on my face and sometimes couldn't stop myself from actually giggling. I love breathing the air down here and smelling the flowers and trees. It’s a garden of a city, and I’m already a big fan.

On Tuesday I moved from the hotel into a serviced apartment off Orchard Road, called Citadines Mount Sophia. It’s not quite as nice a walk home after work now, but I still pass colorful row houses and plenty of impressive colonial buildings, and the apartment itself is truly wonderful.

I know I’ve been to Singapore beforeand written quite a bit about it on this blogbut in all honesty, I’m really just beginning to get to know it and understand how the city fits together. I spend most of my free time wandering around from one quarter to the next, exploring side streets and back alleys that look interesting and putting it all together as sort of a mental puzzle. And I’m loving every minute of it.

I don’t have too much to tell you about yet, so I figured this might be a good opportunity to simply post some pictures of this photogenic little town. I’ve gone through and chosen my favorite shots from my past few trips down and, especially, since I moved here last week. Hopefully this will give you an idea of some of the hidden charms waiting to be discovered in the Little Red Dot, as Singapore is popularly known.

The song in the video is an old, slightly obscure Frank Sinatra tuneOn a Little Street in Singaporethat tells the tale of the singer’s romance with a mysterious woman in the then-exotic locale. I figured you could play it in the background as you scroll through the photos... Enjoy!
                    











































































2 comments:

  1. So happy to hear your settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we do ALL of this?? Especially the street art and colourful buildings!!!! i CAN'T WAIT FOR SINGAPORE

    ReplyDelete