Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi

Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi as he starts his international financial career in Asia

Monday, May 28, 2012

Dim Sum at Disneyland!


Yesterday I checked something off my Hong Kong “to do” list I’ve been trying to fit in for a very long time. I finally enjoyed dim sum at Crystal Lotus, the Cantonese restaurant at the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel on Lantau Island. It’s now well over a year ago since I first read an article about the character-themed dim sum, and I knew instantly it was something I wanted to do. 


It’s only served on weekends and public holidays, and it's not always easy to get a reservation at the restaurant, but I finally got my act together and booked the table about a month ago. With my Magic Access Pass, I am able to visit the park on most weekdays but only certain special weekends, and I made sure yesterday was one of those special weekends before I reserved the table.


It was my seventh visit to the park, so I’ve definitely made good use of my year's pass since that first visit last September with Kristen. I first went back around Halloween-time with Alex to experience Disney’s version of terror; I also visited with Remco on one of my designated weekends in November, since he was keen to see the park during his brief time in Hong Kong. During the Christmas celebrations, I visited for a few hours one day when I found myself alone and off from work. I even went back one random afternoon in February, just because I felt like it. Then, a few weeks ago, I visited with Silja and Ally because, with their respective times in Hong Kong coming to an end, they wanted to see the park before leaving. But I never managed to fit the Disney dim sum into any of these visits, for various reasons!


But, boy, was it worth the wait! I’m so glad I went back for it, as it was, without doubt, one of the highlights of all my visits to Hong Kong Disneyland. My friend Gauthier joined, and we both loved the meal. It was one of the most memorable dim sums I’ve enjoyed in a very long time. 


The food at Crystal Lotus is delicious, of course, but the reason it’s so memorable is because of the shapes and design of the dumplings, buns and other items. They are all made to look like Disney characters, from the delectable Mickey-shaped seafood pancakes to the super-photogenic “little green men” spinach and pork buns, aping the Toy Story aliens! I'm not usually one to take pictures of my food, but I made an exception this time around! 


The attention to detail on all the food was impeccable—almost to a point where you’d have thought they put all the effort into what would appeal to the eyes as opposed to the taste buds. Rest assured, each and every item was just a tasty as it was physically attractive. 


After our meal, we walked around the lovely grounds of the resort, from the pool to the waterfront to the hedge maze. I had never actually been to the hotel before. You see, it's a shuttle bus ride away from the theme park, and I never really had a reason to go. But I was very impressed with what I saw there.


It seemed to me to be based on the Grand Floridian in Orlando, perhaps the most beautiful of all Disney hotels I have ever seen. It was a picture of elegance overlooking the South China Seas. I really hope I get the chance to spend a night or two sometime, perhaps one day when my family comes out to Hong Kong and we want to "get away" from the hectic city without going too far.




Of course, after the meal and hotel exploration, we made our way to the park itself. After all, it was one of my designated weekends to visit, and Disneyland is a good forty-five minute ride on the MTR, so it would be silly to go all the way out there and not go in. Plus, Gauthier is a pretty big Disney fan himself, especially since he comes from Paris and has visited the French park many, many times.


It was another full and wonderful day in Hong Kong Disneyland. From the parade to the shows to the fireworks, there's nothing like a day in Disneyland to brighten just about anyone's spirits!


In other news, I have a couple of other exciting updates to tell you about! First, in less than a week, one of my good friends from Villanova, Jackie, is flying to Hong Kong to visit me. I am so excited to show her around town, and I wish all my friends were as easy to convince to come visit as Jackie. A few weeks ago, I called her to have a quick catch-up. During our chat, I mentioned she had an open invitation to come and stay with me in Hong Kong if she was ever up for it. A few hours later, I got a message from her that she would arrive in less than a month! You see, she recently had to cancel a trip to Europe, and she found out that for only $50, she could change that ticket to a Hong Kong one! I couldn’t be more thrilled, so keep an eye on this space for an imminent update on our adventures!

I’m also happy to report that I have finally booked my next trip home. On July 12th, I fly from Hong Kong to Newark, with a quick stop in London. It’s my first trip back during the summer months since I moved out here in 2009, so I’m incredibly excited to enjoy July, Jersey-style, with my family and friends in the Garden State. As always, there’s lots to look forward to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment