Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi

Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi as he starts his international financial career in Asia

Monday, June 7, 2010

Exams, Bun Festivals and Life in General

Apologies for the extreme drought since my last post. I have been preparing for a licensing exam out here in Hong Kong, called Paper 1, which I am happy to say I finally passed yesterday! On a smaller scale, Paper 1 is sort of equivalent to the Series 7, which I had to pass in New York before I was able to perform many functions associated with my job. Basically, everybody who is authorized to work in the financial services industry in Hong Kong needs to get the Paper 1 license under his belt as early as possible.

Study Manual for Paper 1

But the tests just keep coming. You would think I could get some short period to relax, but believe it or not, I begin studying for Paper 2 today. After about a week or so, I will see how confident I feel with the material, and then I will register to take this second exam.

Scarily, there are ten papers in all! My heart sank when I first learned that, as I feared for a little while that I would need to take them all. But it now seems that Paper 2 will be my last, for the foreseeable future, anyway. Oh well. Honestly, these exams aren’t that bad, and it’s good that I am still in the “college, studying and test-taking mode,” as my boss likes to say.

Speaking of being in the “college” mode, I was shocked by how quickly the class of 2010’s graduation came and went! I cannot believe it’s been over a year since my own graduation. And, another milestone has also come and gone: June 1st.

On Monday, June 1st, 2009, a few weeks after becoming an official alumnus of Villanova University, I arrived at 40 Exchange Place in Lower Manhattan, bright and early, for my first day of work. I have now been an employee in the financial industry for a full year.

I think I can say without hesitation that this first year out of college has gone faster than I could have ever imagined, indeed faster than any of the four individual years I spent at the University. And I know that life is barreling on towards the next milestone, November 5th, 2010—the one year anniversary of my departure for Hong Kong. It may seem far in the future, but I know it will be here before I know it.

Outside of the office, life is sometimes even busier than at work. As in any big city, there is so much going on in Hong Kong, from film screenings to concerts, sporting events to traditional Chinese festivals, that there is always a surprise around the corner.

A few weeks ago, there was one such festival—the Cheung Chau Bun Festival on a small island about an hour’s ferry ride from the heart of Hong Kong. Attending it was an obvious highlight of my time out here so far. It was crowded, to be sure, but it was wonderful. There were dragon dances, parades and the two most iconic aspects of the event: huge, thirty foot high towers of edible buns and young children in traditional costumes “floating” down the waterfront promenade, suspended by concealed steel wires.


Local children "float" around Cheung Chau Island during the Bun Festival

You can see one of the bun towers behind the local boy

Coupled with an incredible (and cheap) seafood dinner on the water, the day was truly unforgettable. Especially impressive was the grand finale—at the stroke of midnight—when a dozen or so athletes raced to the top of one of the towers collecting as many lucky buns as possible! I will treasure the memories (and photos) from that day for a long while, and I am already excited for next year’s festival.

With my friends Alex and Bernadett at the midnight "Bun Climb" race

Currently, I am also trying to make some plans for an imminent visit from Mrs. Parisi, who will be coming to Hong Kong for an extended period of time this summer. As a public school teacher, my mom figured she might as well take advantage of her summer off from work and make the 18-hour flight worthwhile.

Some friends from Villanova are also visiting in the next week, so I have a lot to look forward to out here, as always. So, yes, life is busy, hectic and, in the end, wonderfully exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment