Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi

Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi as he starts his international financial career in Asia

Friday, January 22, 2010

The Joys of Hong Kong

Life in Hong Kong is as interesting as ever. I think what I like most about living out here is not ever knowing what to expect. Any given day, you are bound to see so many strange and interesting things going on around you. And with the help of a few guidebooks, and happenstance, I have always been able to find something to do.

A few weekends ago, Julian and I decided to go out and try snake soup for dinner. We did an online search and found a place that was highly recommended and described as “very authentic.” And what a dinner it was! We had to wait to be seated for a bit, and then we were given a small table that we had to share with other diners. And the menu was not in English either! Only a small "highlight" section provided translations. I am not exaggerating—we were the only two Westerners in the place, everybody else was a local. So... as you can probably guess, the food was fantastic! The snake soup was delicious, and we had fried snake for our main course. Even though it was difficult to eat due to the tiny bones, it tasted great. It was the first time I had ever eaten snake, and I am still trying to think of the words to describe it.

Snake soup

Last Saturday was a great day. I woke up pretty early and the sun was shining. So I put on a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops and convinced Jurre that we should go to Aberdeen, located on the southern part of Hong Kong Island, for the day. The harbor at Aberdeen is filled with fishing junks and sampans. The people who live here are known as “boat people” and they actually live on the boats. There was a time when "boat people" were found all around Hong Kong and needed to gain permission to set foot on the land. Back then, it was said that most of them lived 90% of their lives on the water. Those days have changed, but Aberdeen is one place where these traditions live on. As you walk along the waterfront promenade, lots of old ladies try to convince you to board their boats to take tours of the harbor, so of course we did it! Seeing the boat communities up close was incredible.

Aberdeen’s most famous feature is the Jumbo, a floating restaurant. When I first read about the Jumbo, I figured “floating restaurant” was just a fancy way of saying “boat” but I was wrong. It is literally a building permanently moored in the middle of Aberdeen’s bustling harbor. Since it was so nice out, Jurre and I sat out on the top deck and enjoyed a big buffet lunch. It was the perfect way to spend the beautiful afternoon.



On Sunday I woke up with no plan. I opened my favorite guidebook and decided to go up to the New Territories, the part of Hong Kong that is situated between Kowloon and the border with Mainland China. The book suggested a fantastic attraction in Tseun Wan—an old, restored Walled Village that was turned into a museum back in the 1980s. Walking the old lanes between the houses, visiting the Ancestral Hall and learning about life in the old days really gave me an insight into the history of Hong Kong’s more remote areas. Then I took the train to another town where there is a "heritage trail" that passes ancient pagodas, temples, Ancestral Halls and even a real Walled Village still inhabited to this day! In a big, modern city where things are constantly growing and changing, it’s often impossible to find traces of the past without going inside a museum or looking in a book. Luckily, there are places like the New Territories where you can find great reminders of a rich cultural heritage to explore and experience in living color.

A temple on the heritage trail

The ancient pagoda in the New Territories

Now I’m getting ready to go to the Philippines for the weekend. I am flying down to Manila with Kevin and two of his friends after work today. It was a very last minute trip… We only decided to go last Friday! But the airfare was cheap and it’s always great to explore a new place. I am looking forward to checking a new country off of my "to do" list.

As I said, one of Hong Kong’s great joys is the feeling that there is so much to discover. At first I thought that was true just about the city itself, but I am now starting to realize what a gateway it is to the rest of this part of the world. I am going to Thailand for Chinese New Year (when I get a few days off from work) and I am already thinking of trips to Vietnam and Singapore. This is definitely a great place to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment